Monday, December 17, 2012

Holly: Side Effects May Vary

I felt holiday cheer was needed this past weekend and nothing makes me smile more than Christmas lights. I have a long commute home each night and nothing breaks up the of the monotony of the highway more than the back roads with its lush scenery; Snow covered fields and an abundance of homes twinkling white or dazzling with all the colors imaginable.

I love this time of year. We needed some good old fashioned fun that didn’t cost us a cent. Plans were made and Holly was game.

Hot chocolate was poured into thermos. Scarves were tied and overcoats were buttoned. Mismatched mittens/gloves were nestled around each  hand.  Wool hats shimmied down past the ears and with a tug each boot was on and we were ready to go.

Piled in the car with rosy cheeks bitten by the chill, we puttered around town basking in the glow of the illuminating Christmas cheer. Excitement was rising to a crescendo  with each house we passed.


Snowflakes danced in the wind with abandon. Red and green pulsed through the night and a rainbow palette twinkled back at me with a wink.  Blow up Santa’s wiggled and swayed with joy. If you peer a tiny bit closer, a snowman is waving hello. Reindeer are taking flight as visitors from far and wide are visiting a manager to behold a wondrous site.


Holly inquired why our little abode has only a few strings of light. My little snowflake lights warm my heart dearly as I flip the switch daily but with apartment living my balcony will have to do for now. AS I put the car in park and we stumbled inside overflowing with merriment, Holly declared that one day my house would be marvel to see. The best on the block at least.

The weekend flew by with no parties, arrests, and everyday tom foolery. Maybe my Elf on the Shelf was tired of her mischievous elf pranks. Christmas tunes jingle and jangled through my speakers as I drove home from errands as a glow illuminated the sky from my section of town. Like the north star it guided me home through the dark streets devoid of any color or light. Crowds were forming in the streets and spontaneous caroling filled the air. My car was abandoned as I walked the last block towards what was once an average two family dwelling on an average street.

Low and behold stood the white trash gingerbread house. Every inch was covered in some sort paraphernalia, like Santa threw up Christmas on my lawn. A blow up Homer Simpson was hanging with the Grinch. Three Wiseman were trapped in a candy cane maze, and a family of snowmen did the YMCA.  Not an inch of roof was uncovered without an assortment of lights except for the patch left for Santa’s sleigh which was commandeered by no other than Holly herself.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Night.

Disclaimer: Side effects may vary….   Headaches, Vomiting, The uncontrollable urge to buy a double wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment